Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ahh, the Life of Artists on the Road (not)

You know...they always say "Be careful what you wish for." and...they say..."The grass is always greener". Well, not sure who the heck "they" are, but I resent that they are right, darn it! Since I began this fabulous art journey, I have been working hard, traveling to learn from the best, making connections and along with (what I believe) my natural teaching skills and ability to sell myself, I have some amazing opportunities. Yippee! grants, exhibitions, teaching gigs all over! It's all good, right?

Well, I have realized that each stage in the journey does not look or feel quite like you expect it to when you get there. I had never expected to be so torn about being away from family, especially now that the kids are a bit older. I had expected to set off in a cute sporty car, kisses at the door, return home to long hours in the studio and time with my husband and boys, making money to contribute and have a bit left for some pretty shoes or a even a family vacation. But, alas, I have tears at the door (my own), some orange crocs ("pretty" does not come to mind) and no money left to fix my rusty van let alone a week at the HoJo in Newfoundland.

I know the time will come when it all gets a little easier, but if it doesn't that just has to be okay. When it comes down to it,, this is what I do. I am an artist. Don't we all have to take the good with the other (I won't even call it "bad"). I have learned this summer that I need to book less art travel/teaching during the summer months. Learning that is a very good thing.

So, today I head to immerse myself in my craft for 12 days (thank you Ontario Arts Council!) and to see wonderful feltmaking friends. The grass will be greener in "art land"...until I get there.






Visit my site www.andrea-graham.com

2 comments:

Pam de Groot said...

You're scaring me. I want all those things too.

Tracy Markey said...

i think it's great that, although the reality right now, isn't quite as you'd wish for - you still have the desire and drive to continue on your path.

nothing worthwhile ever came easy (unfortunately!)

i've made a few small steps on my journey to be a designer maker and boy it's much harder than i imagined - but i wouldn't change a thing (well ... maybe a couple!) and i keep trying to tell myself that this is a steep learning curve.

the pretty shoes will come in time :)

time to relax

time to relax
Liberatio Captivus