Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Firenze....

I am home a week yesterday, which is difficult to believe and I have spent the first day since home in my studio. I have many things to catch up on and am finally feeling a bit more grounded and ready to work. I did, however, receive my Rosetta Stone Italian lessons in the mail today. But I have not a moment to spare with 4 weeks until I deliver work to the Mississippi Valley Textile Museum.

The last 2 posts were a tiny window into my experience with my new Italian friends at DHG. Before I began with the show and teaching events, I was fortunate enough to take a couple of days in the spectacular city of Florence (...or Firenze!) while I adjusted to the time change ;o). I will share some images and thoughts here in the attempt to convey some modicum of the beauty and history of this spectacular city.
I truly fell in love.
I cried (a few times)
I lived every minute in the moment. If this city is not on your bucket list, add now.

so, one more time...grab your nuno felted throw and your glass of Chianti and join me in Florence...
Oh, but wait. In transit. 
While in Frankfurt with hours to spare what is one to do but eat? Sauerkraut and sausage with beer? Yes. Yes, I did. I people watched (business men, couples in love, business men in love...it was nice)

 Moving forward...I arrive in Florence and am met by my Italian friend, Daniel, who rides with me to my little place above a bar near the Palazzo Vecchio. THIS (below), my friends, is my view to the right from my window. I cry. I most certainly did! I am in friggin' Italy!!

 after wandering the streets and not getting lost after being awake 36 hours, I have a fabulous night sleep and awake to THIS.

 ...Pinch. Cry. No jet lag. Too stoked.












 Florence awaits!


 I meet with the curator of my exhibition, Eva Basile, at a charming little place (Thank you, Eva!)




 Then, on to the Uffizi where I have tickets reserved for 10 a.m.

 Up top a kind tourist (A forensic accountant from Atlanta on a birthday trip with his mother) took my picture. We had a lovely conversation....thanks :o)




 Oooops. Not allowed to take pictures. My finger slipped. No flash.
From the Uffizi..the Arno.


hmmm. Pretty.

Palazzo Medici


My Favorite!!! Cappelle Medicee. Inside is below...
CRIED! Chapel of the Princes...stunning (Yes, finger slipped again). A woman entered after me and gasped loudly...she then had to sit. I sat beside her and we both sat speechless: a rare occurrence for me. What you cannot see are the large sculptures and stone EVERYwhere. The next room is equally stunning but in a different way, the :New Sacristy". A tiny space full of oainfully detailed frescoes and Michelangelo sculpture.
 The Duomo...It sounds silly, but I wandered for a couple of hours before I found it even though I could see it from the Uffizi. I enjoyed every moment of being a bit lost and without bearings. Rounding the corner to see this was another teary moment. People must have thought I was crazy.

 A night time trip up to beautiful Fiesole! So spoiled! Filled on on some fascinating history by wonderful company.

I call him Dave.
sigh.

inside palazzo Medici...below too.



Yes...amazing shops.



Lots of leather! I could hear them setting up bright and early each morning beneath my window.

Lunch at the Palazzo Vecchio.


 Nice. A bit of street performance.


Heaven. 

Tuscan sun rising behind me as I go to the airport. This would have been "Ciao, for now" for Italy, but delays allowed me another 24 hours in the country (a whole other post). Not as I would have liked or planned, but another 24 hours, nevertheless. I did not mind in the very least. I have many more images I could share and so much more I could say, but I am still pining for Italy after being home for a week. All I can say is...Fino alla prossima volta. Google translate tells me this says, "Until next time" Whether accurate or not will have to wait until I begin my lessons!

Visit my site www.andrea-graham.com

No comments:

time to relax

time to relax
Liberatio Captivus